How to install SSL Certificate on windows IIS 10 ? In this article we are going to use SSL Certificate taken from Go Daddy. At the end of this article you will be able to know followings:
Q. What is SSL?
Q. What is SSL Certificate?
Q. How does SSL/TLS works?
Q. How can a business obtain an SSL certificate?
Q. What are the types of SSL Certificates?
Q. Are SSL and TLS same?
Q. What are common issues while installing SSL Certificate on windows IIS?
Q. Why certificate is not showing after adding in Server Certificate of IIS?
Q. Able to add SSL Certificate in Server Certificate of IIS, but it’s not showing on refresh.
Q. What are the files we received from Go Daddy after purchasing SSL.
Q. What are the uses of all files that we received from Go Daddy?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a protocol for establishing authenticated and encrypted link between computers on network. After releasing of TLS 1.0 in the year 1999 the SSL protocol was deprecated. But still it is common to refer these related technologies as “SSL/LTS”
SSL/TLS use to make a secure encrypted transmission of data between two systems (users and servers) and safeguarding any sensitive data. It also make impossible for hackers to read or modify data during data transmission over network.
Furthermore, an SSL certificate contains identification details about a website, including its domain name, as well as, if applicable, details about the site’s owner. When a web server’s SSL certificate is signed by a certificate authority (CA) that is publicly trusted, such godaddy.com as SSL.com, content that is digitally signed from the server will be deemed trustworthy by the end users’ web browsers and operating systems.
Q. Can we get free SSL Certificate?
Q. Name top Free SSL Certificate Providers
- Amazon, Let’s Encrypt and Cloudflare SSL certificates use SHA-256-bit keys.
- Let’s Encrypt uses 2048-bit RSA keys, but you can upgrade it to 4096-bit RSA keys.
- Cloudflare and Amazon use standard 2048-bit RSA keys for asymmetric encryption.
Now a new question will come in our mind
Q. What is the difference between free SSL and paid SSL?
The primary difference between free and paid SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificates lies in the level of security, reliability, and trustworthiness they provide.
Free SSL certificates are issued by a few certificate authorities (CAs) that offer them at no cost. These free SSL certificates are generally domain-validated (DV), which means they only verify that the person requesting the certificate is the owner of the domain name. As a result, they are not as secure as other types of SSL certificates, such as organization-validated (OV) or extended validation (EV) certificates, which require a more rigorous verification process that confirms the identity and ownership of the organization behind the domain name.
Paid SSL certificates, on the other hand, offer higher levels of security and trustworthiness, as they typically undergo a more thorough validation process that verifies the identity and legitimacy of the website owner. Additionally, paid SSL certificates offer additional features such as higher warranty protection, greater customer support, and additional security features.
Ultimately, the decision to choose a free or paid SSL certificate will depend on the level of security, trustworthiness, and additional features that a website owner requires, as well as their budget. While free SSL certificates may be suitable for smaller websites or personal blogs, larger websites and eCommerce platforms will likely require the additional security and trust provided by a paid SSL certificate.
Now coming to our main topic without taking your much time.
How to install SSL on Windows 10 ?
Here are the steps that need to follow one by one:
1. Assuming you are using VPS, so connect your remote hosting server. Press window + R to open run dialog and write command
mstsc, press enter. Now provide your server detail to connect.
2. Now create a CSR file on server. For this open IIS by press window + R and write command
From left side connection area click on your server name.
Open Server Certificates from IIS area.
From right side Action area click on Create Domain Certificate
Provide detail about Organization like Common name, Organization, unit, city, state, country and click on Next button
Provide detail of Certification Authority and Friendly name. Click on Next
On the Cryptographic Service Provider Properties page, provide the information below and then click Next.
On the File Name page, under Specify a file name for the certificate request, click the … box to browse to a location where you want to save your CSR.
3. When you are done, click Finish. Use any text editor to open the CSR file. Copy the content, including the —–BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– and —–END NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST—– tags, and paste it into the providers “Certificate Signing Request (CSR)” field. Proceed further and a new certificate will be issued after your changes are verified by certificate provider.
After receiving confirmation download your files. You must will get at-least 2 files: a.
.crt and b
4. Now copy these files on your server. On the server where you created the CSR file, save the SSL certificate
.cer file that certificate provide sent you.
5. In Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, comes in the Connections menu tree (left side), and click on the server name. Open Server Certificate from IIS area.
6. Click on Complete Certificate Request from right side Action area. This will open Specify Certificate Authority Response page, do the following and then click OK:
|File name containing the
|Click the … box and browse to and select the .cer file
|certificate authority’s response:
|The file that you received from certificate provider sent to you.
|Type a friendly name for the certificate.
|The friendly name is not part of the certificate; instead, it is used to identify the certificate.
|Select a certificate store
for the new certificate:
|In the drop-down list, select Web Hosting.
7. Now you have successfully installed your SSL certificate. Next you need to assign the certificate to the appropriate website.
8. From Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, in the Connections menu tree (left pane), expand the name of the server then expand Sites and click the site you want to use the SSL certificate to secure. From the Actions menu (right pane), under Edit Site, click the Bindings… link.
9. Add https in types, All Unassigned or your
websitename, 443 in Port and select your SSL certificate that you just created. Click on OK.
10 Finally click on restart from right side Mange Website.
That’s it. Now check your website with https this time. If not reflected then do hard refresh in browser by simply pressing shift and f5 together.
By following above steps one can install SSL Certificate for any website. If it won’t work first time then I suggest to do same steps again carefully. We understood about importance of SSL and the types of SSL that is free or paid, also the difference between those.
Hope this article will help you.